<>

03.02.08

I am a cactus. One branch stands still hands in pockets looking out at the desert beyond. But there is a wall, an obelisk solid and cryptic directly in front of my nose making it hard to look wistfully at a distant something I don’t know. At my waist I branch off. Back to back there is another reaching, slithering, sniffing self with arched back, long neck and eyes downcast. She, this backside self, rests her head against another cactus nearby shooting straight up to the sky with no hesitation. Up. In the muck below my feet two bulging eyes watch and wait. In the distance I hear cats screeching, yelping, howling and I imagine them piled one on top of the other -- here kitty kitty. Their eyes aglow and big scardy cat. And one with a long long thick bushy tail that wraps around the horizon. And at the bottom of my vision I sit patiently trapped between church pews and you lean over me carefully combing my hair out of my eyes. And saying without saying it : “snap out of it. I love you. Why can’t you look me in the eye.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home